Thursday, November 30, 2017

Gratitude Makes the Difference

Photo credits: Pexels

Gratitude Makes the Difference


Have you ever had those times when no matter what you did, you just couldn’t seem to get a breakthrough? You’ve spent time fasting, praying, and making lists of what you want. The vision board is done. You’ve named it and claimed it, yet the realization of your dreams continue to elude you. At this point, you’re tired, frustrated, and ready to scream. During your darkest times, you may even rant and rave, curse the universe (and possibly everyone else too!), and throw in the towel. You’re on the verge of giving up, convinced that all the things you’ve been taught are a lie and that dream fulfillment is just not in your cards. Hold on before you throw all of your years and effort into the rubbish bin.

There is a small key to turning your situations around that makes all the difference. It’s gratitude. Oh before you blow me off and roll your eyes feeling as if you’re about to be assigned one more thing to do that won’t bear fruit…just give me a minute.

For starters, it’s important to know that I have been where you are. I have had the life where it seemed on the surface to me that nothing was working. Relationship issues, parenting issues, issues with my parents, financial hardship, physical ailments, a job I hated, no real success in the areas where I wanted them most. Shall I go on? You name it, I had it.

One morning while traveling to work, and let me say when you’re traveling to work in the middle of the night where there’s just you and a few other people on the road, there’s lots of time to think, I remember just praying and talking to God about how unfulfilled I was. As I talked to Him, an overwhelming urge to be thankful came over me. It was like I’d been given the opportunity to see my life through a different set of eyes. I may not have the job of my dreams, but I was employed and in those moments since working there able to pay all of my bills. Issues with my child were very frustrating, but I had been blessed with a child. My parents, though frustrating, loved me and were still alive. I had not achieved the kind of success I wanted with my creative endeavors, but opportunities presented themselves to me daily to do things I’d only dreamed of doing. My relationship status was far from what I wanted it to be, but I could truly stop and be thankful that some of those men from my past had moved on. I was better off with them not being in my life. For the first time I could see that being single was a blessing and not a curse. Sometimes a partial thing is not better than nothing at all.

Then something clicked inside of me. It was like the more I looked at my life and found things to be thankful for, the more circumstances revealed themselves to me for which to give thanks. While the promises had not manifested in my life the way I thought they would have by that time, there was still the promise itself to be thankful for.

The floodgates had opened up. During that hour-long car ride in the wee hours of the morning, I felt my spirit shift from depressed, frustrated, and angry, to optimistic and hopeful. For the first time in my life, I realized how blessed I am…and have been all along…even in the midst of extreme hardship. That morning I realized that despite physical pain, emotional pain, and voids in other areas of my life, I had much to be grateful for. In that moment, I saw a glimpse of God’s heart towards me, towards his children, and I got it.

Who wants to go out of their way to bless someone who is always complaining and whining about what they don’t have and who never acknowledges what they do have? As a parent I know first hand how irritating it is when my child complains to me about how much she doesn’t have when I am bending over backwards to make sure she has the bulk of what she wants and all of what she needs.

Almost immediately I could see a shift. It wasn’t physical at first. No, instead it started on the inside of me. How I saw my life was different. I made a promise to myself to give thanks every time I wanted to get frustrated and spew off words that would take me in the opposite direction from where I wanted to be. I decided to make it my business to see my blessings and when I couldn’t see them on my own, I prayed and asked God to show me the many ways He was blessing my life, so that I could be thankful. It was a very humbling experience.

It wasn’t long before channels of blessings began opening up and the floodgates began to pour out what I’d been believing for.

Here are some things to think about. There are spiritual laws that govern the universe that are always at work, whether we are aware of them or not. The Law of Attraction is one of them. With the Law of Attraction, what we focus on becomes a giant magnet that draws more of those experiences to us. If we are not mindful of our thoughts and words, we actually work against ourselves by focusing on what we don’t want instead of what we do want. Example. We say, “I don’t want to be late!” By thinking this way, we actually draw experiences that will slow us down getting to our destination. However, if we say, “I get everywhere I’m going on time,” it literally causes everything in your path that would slow you down, to move out of your way so that you can get where you’re going on time.

With that in mind, when we focus on what we don’t have and spend time complaining about our lack, it causes more lack to manifest. It’s like coating pipes with sludge and prevents water from flowing through freely. However, with practicing the gift of gratitude, and yes it is a gift, we are giving those pipes a good cleaning so that the channels of blessing and prosperity open up and flow freely.

No matter how challenging things are in your life right now, Beloved, if you just look a little deeper, you will see that you are blessed more than you know. Even if you start giving thanks for the breath you are able to breathe, that’s a wonderful place to start. For in truth, nothing would be possible without the breath of life.

Know this, no matter how difficult your life has been, this is not all that you are destined for. You have an amazing destiny before you, one full of blessings, peace, joy, happiness, and abundance. Believe it or not, more than you want to be blessed, God wants you to live in the fullness of all that He has for you. Determine this day to let gratitude lead you into the life you were created for. You are worth it!

Changing lives one word at a time...Tumika Patrice Cain

Originally published in Fresh Lifestyle Magazine, April 2017
_________

Tumika Patrice Cain is an award-winning author, media personality, and motivational speaker. Through her imprint, Inkscriptions Publishing & Media Group, she provides high quality, affordable, mentor-based publishing services to indie authors, as well as inspired, empowering messages of hope and abundance through her media outlets. Her works can be found in many publications, including Fresh Lifestyle Magazine. To learn more about Tumika, her books, and her services visit the following websites. http://www.TumikaPatrice.com and http://www.InkscriptionsPMG.com

No comments:

Post a Comment